5 bare minimum traits every human should have
We all know that life isn’t fair. Not everyone can be tall, rich, and beautiful like me. But there are some things we need to have as humans in order to survive in this world. Some of these traits are more important than others, but they all matter. Even if you’re not tall, rich, or beautiful like me (which I’m guessing is most of you). Here they are:
Compassion is the ability to feel with others, to understand their feelings, and to be moved by their suffering. It’s putting yourself in someone else’s shoes, trying to imagine what it would be like to be them.
Compassion isn’t a bad thing; it just requires some effort on your part. You might not know exactly what someone else is going through or how they feel about something. But that doesn’t mean you can’t try!
Empathy is the ability to understand what another person is feeling. It’s also the ability to understand what another person wants, needs, thinks, and believes.
Empathy means that you take into account other people’s feelings when making decisions. And it doesn’t matter whether they’re strangers or friends. Even if they’re people who have wronged you in some way (like the woman who cut you off on your morning commute). Empathy helps us make better choices because it allows us to imagine ourselves in someone else’s shoes. If we can do this effectively enough, we might actually come out on top by helping others rather than hurting them. Or even just avoiding conflict altogether.
Kindness is a non-negotiable trait. It’s one of those things that should just come naturally, but it doesn’t always. Kindness can be shown in many ways, but here are some examples:
- Complimenting someone’s outfit or hairstyle
- Saying “please” and “thank you,” even if it feels awkward at first
- Offering your seat on the bus/train/plane when someone looks like they need it more than you do (or even if they don’t)
Self-awareness is one of 5 bare minimum traits every human should have
You are not a robot. You have feelings, thoughts, and emotions that can change depending on your situation. Self-awareness is the ability to understand and recognize these things about yourself. It’s a key component of emotional intelligence (EI).
Self-awareness helps you make better decisions because it allows you to consider how your actions will affect others around you as well as yourself. If someone asks for something from me and I’m in a bad mood, it might be easy for me to say “no” without thinking about how this could affect their day or even their life! But if I were more aware of my own emotions at that moment then maybe I’d think twice before saying no just because I’m having an off day myself…
Humility is the ability to recognize and accept your own shortcomings, values, and limitations. Humility is the ability to recognize that you are not perfect, but you are trying to be better.
There are certain traits that we need to have as humans.
We all are responsible for being better humans, and these five traits are a great place to start. If we can all work towards having more compassion, empathy, kindness, and self-awareness in our lives, we will create a better world for everyone.
- Types of friends you should haveTypes of friends you should have You might have a best friend and a couple of close friends. And that’s fine. But if you want to ensure your social life is healthy, it’s important to make room for more than just one type of friend in your life. I’m here to help guide you through … Read moreTypes of friends you should have
- People who are narcissist-magnetsPeople who are narcissist-magnets Narcissist magnets are people who attract narcissists. Narcissism is a personality disorder characterized by an inflated sense of self-importance, a lack of empathy for others, and a need for constant attention. A narcissist will eventually find someone who is willing to put up with them (or fall in love with them) … Read morePeople who are narcissist-magnets
- The best 2023 summer bucket list for mental healthThe best 2023 summer bucket list for mental health Summer is a time to relax, but it can also be difficult to keep up motivation. You might not want to go outside or spend time with friends and family because you just want to stay in your PJs all day. As the weather gets warmer, … Read moreThe best 2023 summer bucket list for mental health
- How to Deal with GriefHow to Deal with Grief Grief is an emotional response to a loss. It can be intense and difficult to accept, but it’s OK if you’re sad, angry, or frustrated. If you’re grieving the loss of a loved one, don’t feel ashamed or embarrassed about it. Talk about it if you need it, but also … Read moreHow to Deal with Grief
- Why you shouldn’t give up on loveWhy you shouldn’t give up on love Love is a process. You are not meant to experience love for it to be real. You can stop looking at the people who broke your heart as bad luck. Instead of seeing them as someone who was meant to help you grow into yourself. Shitty breakups aren’t … Read moreWhy you shouldn’t give up on love